The collection of the Scuola di Musica di Fiesole library includes:
• approximately 20,000 printed music scores of various repertoires (solo, chamber, orchestral) updated on a continual basis thanks to donations and purchases; numerous collections donated by 20th-century musicians and composers such as Piero Farulli, Antonio Veretti, Amedeo Baldovino, Claudio Desderi, Paolo Fragapane, etc.;
• instrumental methods and books on music theory, harmony, analysis and composition;
• approximately 3,000 books on the subject of music including biographies of composers and musicians, essays, history of music, ethnomusicology and organology;
• the entire catalogue of SPES musical editions, dedicated to the facsimile reproductions of ancient music, tablature, treatises and Vivaldi essays;
• a small collection of 18th-century music manuscripts (Stefanelli Collection);
• a large collection of materials regarding music education (formerly of the Centre for Research and Experimentation of Music Education), including materials for school activities, psychology texts, music therapy and teaching methods (specific catalogue);
• magazines and periodicals about musical subject matter (specific catalogue);
• a large collection of music CDs and DVDs of symphonic, chamber and operatic repertoire (specific catalogue).
To search the catalogues consult the OPAC collettivo SDIAF (Florence Area Integrated Documentary System) or our Library’s Online Catalogue.
In the Search by field section it is possible to consult the catalogue by Author, Title, Publication,document type (monography, printed music etc.) and instrumentation by typing the instrument abbreviation in All fields. It is also possible to discover the contents of the library’s Collections by selecting a Collection from the list entitled Funds.
HOURS OF OPERATION
The library and multimedia centre of the Scuola di Musica di Fiesole are open to the public:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 15:00 - 18:00
Thursday 10:00 - 13:00
CONSULTATION AND LOAN
Please note that instrumental, chamber and orchestral parts, copyrighted material (e.g. Henle and Bärenreiter) and reference works such as encyclopedias, dictionaries and opera omnia, and works listed in exam bibliographies are excluded from home loan. This material may only be consulted on School premises.
The home loan of books is for 30 days, while that of music (excluding exceptions) and methods is 15 days. Late return of materials results in the temporary suspension from the loan and consultation service. In compliance with the current Protocol for the prevention and containment of Covid-19, consultation, reference and loan services operate as follows:
• Entrance to the library is one person at a time; mask covering nose and mouth must be worn.
From September 2020, it is possible to use the Reading Room, located in the Aula Sibille next to the library: it is available, always by reservation, for a maximum capacity of 3.
Tel.: 055 5978522
Head Librarian Stefania Gitto
Tel. 055 5978522
MUSIC DOCUMENTATION CENTRE OF TUSCANY
Since March 2014, the Scuola di Musica di Fiesole Library is the headquarters for the Centro di Documentazione Musicale della Toscana (CeDoMus - Music Documentation Centre of Tuscany), pa project supported by the Region of Tuscany for the census, research and enhancement of Tuscan musical sources preserved in the area. Consult the map, search the database and help us complete the detailed bibliography.
The Scuola di Musica di Fiesole maintains extensive archives that testify to more than 30 years of activity, including documentary material, press reviews, internal publications, concert programs, concert recordings, lectures, conferences, etc.
The archives are currently undergoing reorganization and consultation is therefore temporarily suspended.
Below please find a small selection of databases and digital online collections with free access to musical resources, in particular sheet music and scores.
General Music Repertoire:
Digital Online Music Collections:
• Internet Culturale - ReMI
• Europeana Music Collections
• Archivio Storico Ricordi - Collezione digitale
• Biblioteca Digitale Conservatorio G. Verdi - Milano
• Museo Internazionale della Musica di Bologna - Gaspari online
• Bibliothèque nationale de France - Gallica
• British Library - Music Collection
• Biblioteca statale bavarese - Collezione musicale
• American Sheet Music 1870 - 1885
• New York Philarmonic - Leon Levy Digital Archive